A Trip to Harlem

Alloyah Abobi

FSS in Harlem!

On November 19, 2018, the African American History class taught by Malik Mubashir and the Protest Literature class taught by Chris Singler, Director of Upper School, took what many students might call a culturally fulfilling trip to Harlem, New York.   

Harlem is a significant location for both of these classes. It is well known for its culturally diverse atmosphere as well as the deep roots of African American History that it carries with such pride. One of the most significant occurrences was the Harlem Renaissance, which is a prime example of our rich African American history. The Harlem Renaissance was a prominent intellectual, social, and artistic eruption, which took place in Harlem, New York. Spanning from the end of World War I to the middle of the 1930’s, it was known as the “New Negro Movement,” which got its name from Alain Locke.

Malik’s reasoning for taking us to Harlem was to expose us to the deeply rooted culture through actual experience, rather than strictly through the novels which we’re reading in class. He assigned each and every one of his students a historical sight or well-known movement to research in great detail. This research was then presented once the class arrived in Harlem.

The presentations took place in front of various places, such as the renowned Apollo Theatre, YMCA, Harlem History Club, Strivers’ Row, Speaker’s Corner, and many more. After presenting, many students expressed how the knowledge impacted them and made them see Harlem from a different perspective. One of the attendees of the trip, Nyeema Caldwell (Class of ‘20) said, “Many may know Harlem to be the place that holds negativity and bad occurrences when in fact it’s a neighborhood with embedded historical roots. It was amazing to see all of the students in attendance from all walks of life and experiences.” This goes to show that Malik’s reasoning for taking the trip made an impact on his students.

Chris decided to bring his Protest Literature class along for the journey because of the direct connections Harlem has to the readings his students are exposed to in his class. “We had just finished reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, and much of the novel takes place in Harlem,” Chris said. “I was excited to try to connect the rich history of Harlem with what students had been discussing and reading. I was particularly interested in having students see the Speaker’s Corner and imagine the scenes that take place in that vicinity in the novel.” The presentations on behalf of the Protest Literature class were equally enjoyed by the students. “I never realized how much history was rooted in the places that are often times overlooked,” said John Dinnall (Class of ‘19).

The outcome of the trip was deemed a success by the students and chaperones. All who were in attendance already have questions and constructive criticism on how to better the trip for years to come.