Cancellation of Annual Washington, DC Trip

Photographer: Carol M. Highsmith

Free Use Image Courtesy of Flickr.com

FSS’s traditional 11th grade history field trip to Washington D.C. has recently been canceled due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus. 

Brian Kors, the US History Department Chair, is the main organizer of the trip. He says, “I am sad that we will not be able to do the trip this year, but it now seems like a small matter compared to this ‘all hands on deck’ global situation we have here.” He adds, “A great many programs, as you know, got canceled outright or at least postponed, which is a small price to pay ultimately for our health and safety.” 

The trip to the capital revolves around the junior year Modern Issues Project. The trip allows students to meet different experts, so they can gain a better understanding of their respective topic. Brian says that the canceling of the trip has only slightly changed what students will produce for the project because students can still easily reach out to experts.

Peter Ryan ‘21 says that the juniors viewed the trip as a “formative part” of their experience at FSS. He thinks that canceling school is much more impactful in changing the Modern Issues Project as opposed to the DC trip. However, he sees these grade trips as “landmark moments” because they bring the grade together and make the high school experience unique. Peter thinks that this cancellation can be amended by going on a grade trip next year.