Friends Select Offers Free Summer Enrichment Courses for Current Students

This summer, Friends Select’s SummerSessions programs will include more enrichment and advancement classes than ever before. These classes, which are free for Friends Select families (aside from advancement courses), will run during various time periods throughout the summer, ranging from a couple of days to nine weeks.

Friends Select divides SummerSessions into three distinct sections: City Academy, City Lab, and City Institute. City Academy includes advancement courses in math, remedial courses in math and writing, and a handful of academic enrichment courses like Elementary Arabic and Pragmatic Woodworking. Mathematical advancement courses, which will take place virtually, were the only summer courses at Friends Select before the school implemented SummerSessions.

City Lab courses explore more freeform topics in shorter time frames. Courses available to Upper School students include the following:

Antiracism for White StudentsVirtualSarah Kelly & Ian LockeyJune 28th – July 9th
CookingVirtualSteph DemkoJuly 12th – 16th, July 19th – 23rd, July 26th – 30th
Wildcrafting: Food Fermentation and SustainabilityIn-personKellie Bowker & Amy DanfordJuly 5th – 9th
Lights, Camera, Action! Intro to Video ProductionIn-personZoë BlattJuly 5th – 9th
Diving into DSLR PhotographyIn-personZoë BlattJuly 5th – 9th
Pragmatic WoodworkingIn-personMax BudnickJuly 5th – July 16th
Poetry in the CityIn-personVanessa RosensweetJune 21st – July 2nd
Formal Writing and the 5-Paragraph EssayVirtualMatthew RosenJune 28th – July 2nd
The Silk Road and the Origins of GlobalizationBlendedErik HermansJuly 20th – Aug 12th
Elementary ArabicBlendedErik HermansJuly 20th – Aug 12th
More information on these courses can be found on the Summer Sessions Website.

Fifth Grade teacher Steph Demko, who will teach the cooking course in July, drew inspiration for her class from her Middle School cooking club. The course, which runs for three separate one-week sessions in July, will explore recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Steph encourages Upper School students to register for her course because “learning some basic cooking techniques and recipes is an important life skill that we all need.”

Wildcrafting, taught by Lower School teachers Kellie Bowker and Amy Danford, will take place from July 5th to July 9th. Kellie says that although fermentation “seems pretty mysterious,” it “has a lot of practical and delicious uses” as well. The class will explore kombucha and jun, assorted pickles, fresh cheese, sourdough, and other projects. Kellie invites students to join because “there is a great deal of satisfaction in being able to feed yourself and your community.”

Both of Zoë’s courses, which are available to Middle and Upper School students, will “offer students the chance to explore manual photography and filmmaking as they travel the city to scout interesting and unique locations for their work.”

More information about these classes, including dates, times, and cost can be found on the SummerSessions web page.