Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

College: A Guide for High School Senior Girls

Your future is ahead of you, and it’s an exciting adventure full of new experiences, independence, and self-discovery. As you prepare to embark on your college journey, there are a few essential tips to keep in mind that will help you make the most of this thrilling chapter in your life.

1. Learn to Say No: Assert Your Independence

One of the first things you’ll encounter in college is the pressure to be a social butterfly, to say “yes” to everything, and to be the “cool girl” who never declines an invitation. But here’s the truth: you don’t have to say yes to everything. In fact, it’s essential to learn to say “no” when you’re not comfortable or simply don’t want to do something. Remember, your voice matters, and you should never feel pressured into doing anything you’re not okay with.

Honesty is key. If you’re not interested in an event, a party is getting out of hand, or you simply need some alone time, don’t be afraid to speak up. People who respect your decision to say “no” are the ones worth keeping in your life. Learning to say no is an essential skill that goes hand-in-hand with balancing your academic, social, and personal life.

1. Take Care of Yourself: No One Will For You

College is the time to spread your wings and explore your newfound independence. Part of that independence means taking care of yourself – physically and mentally. Remember, no one else is responsible for your well-being; it’s your duty to love your body and nurture it.

Make healthy choices to keep yourself strong and feeling good. Try incorporating a multivitamin into your daily routine and aim for nutritionally balanced meals. College introduces you to new people and new environments, which means exposure to lots of new germs. Make self-care a priority!

1. Explore Your Interests: Go Beyond Your Major

College isn’t just about hitting the books in your chosen major; it’s a time for exploration and self-discovery. Take the opportunity to explore academically by enrolling in a few classes that genuinely interest you, even if they don’t align with your major. These diverse experiences will broaden your horizons and help you grow in unexpected ways.

1. Grades Don’t Define You: Embrace Your Journey

Grades are a part of the college experience, but they don’t define your intelligence, worth, or future success. It’s essential to put effort into your studies, but remember that grades do not determine your destiny. Instead, focus on gaining knowledge, improving your skills, and enjoying your time in college.

1. College Is Life, Not a Movie: Embrace Loneliness and Seek Support

Starting college can be a whirlwind of change and uncertainty. It’s entirely normal to feel lonely or miss the familiarity of your home life. Embrace these growing pains of adulthood. Don’t hesitate to reach out to someone if you need support. Remember, not everyone instantly finds a close-knit friend group, and that’s perfectly okay. Use the opportunity to explore your campus and surroundings on your own terms – your people will come into your life in due time.

1. Prioritize Mental Health: Seek Help When Needed

Your mental well-being is just as crucial as your physical health. Don’t be afraid to seek help if you’re struggling with anxiety, stress, or other emotional challenges. Most colleges offer mental health resources, so make use of them. It’s a sign of strength, not weakness, to ask for support when you need it.

1. Stay Safe: Know Your Limits

College life often includes parties, social gatherings, and new experiences. While it’s fun to say “yes” to new adventures, it’s essential to do so in moderation. Be responsible with alcohol and other substances, and always drink with people you know and trust. Look out for your friends, too. If someone’s had a bit too much to drink or is in a risky situation, be the supportive friend who looks out for their well-being.

College is a unique and transformative chapter in your life, so make the most of it, have fun, and stay safe. Your future is bright, and the world is waiting for your light.