Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Why You Should Go to QYLC 2025

• Friends Select Students help pack food to give out to the community.

• Darryl Ford speaks at Penn Charter on Quakerism during the past.

• Amil Thomas’s inflatable couch at QYLC.

• Friends Select students & Brooklyn Friends School students walk to the Teedyuscung Statue.

• Talent Show at QYLC: everyone gathers up as a community to sing along.

• QYLC at Germantown Friends’ Meeting House for Meeting for Worship.

QYLC 2024 was a vibrant, friendly, and informative conference, surpassing the previous year’s event.  This year’s conference, hosted by William Penn Charter School and Germantown Friends School, emphasized the theme of the past, present, and future of Quakerism. Whether you’re a new student at Friends Select or have been attending since elementary school, attending QYLC is an experience I highly recommend. 

Over the past two years, it has been nothing but a wonderful venture to meet new friends, learn more about Quakerism, and explore new environments with your classmates. On the first day of QYLC, my fellow Friends Select students and I arrived at the oldest continuous Quaker School in America, Penn Charter. During dinner, we had time to make new friends. QYLC brings together schools from various places, including Canada! I had the great opportunity to meet students from friends’ schools in Canada and D.C.

After dinner, we heard from keynote speaker, Darryl Ford, the former Head of School of Penn Charter. Darryl’s speech was about his experiences at Quaker schools and how MLK Jr emphasizes protest through peace. His speech was very interactive and spoke to the soul of Quakerism– where it started and what it holds for the future.

The sleeping arrangements were compelling; all the students slept in the school’s gym with a variety of sleeping supplies. One student at Friends Select, Amil Thomas, brought in an inflatable couch to sleep on, while others brought sleeping tents and normal inflatable beds. 

Day two was focused on connecting to Quakerism in the present. I began the day with another keynote speaker surrounding the narrative of Native Americans and their relationship with Quakerism. The keynote speaker then took us to a walking trail to see the Teedyuscung statue. We learned that this statue is an incorrect and stereotyped representation of Native Americans. After the trail, we had lunch at a sushi restaurant. Despite it being a super quick lunch, it was great food for a cheap price. Before dinner, we had an alumni panel featuring individuals from different Friends schools, including Friends Select, discussing how they incorporate Quakerism into their lives after attending Quaker school. 

The best part of the night was the talent show. Each year students from all schools attending can show off their talents in front of everyone. Some notable acts included singing, acting, and dancing. Friends Select folks decided to have a comedic pillow fight emphasizing peace and consensus. The talent show is always a highlight for me because you can feel a community laughing, singing, and enjoying the limited time they have together to the fullest.

This year’s conference embodied the core values of being independent, friendly, fun, and interactive. Even though I had attended before, I still found a way to appreciate Quakerism from a new point of view. I experienced a welcoming atmosphere that encourages independence, fosters friendships, and infuses learning with enjoyable, interactive activities. I would suggest future students of Friends Select and present ones try QYLC at least once.