Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Marian Anderson Recreation Center Makes Big Impact on the South Philadelphia Community

• The batting cages in the Marian Anderson Recreation Center. This training space is used by the Anderson Monarchs.

• This is Marian Anderson Recreation Center’s outdoor playground. This playground is always open to the public and is most utilized by after-school programs.

• The baseball field used by the Anderson Monarchs middle school teams. Recreational games are played on this field during the spring and summer.

• Marian Anderson Recreation Center’s main hallway. This main hallway is used for community events.

I have spent a lot of time at the Marian Anderson Recreation Center, located in South Philadelphia. I have played baseball for the center’s team, the Anderson Monarchs. The Anderson Monarchs training facility is on the East Wing of the Recreation Center. Marian Anderson Recreation Center is a staple in the South Philly community, offering a lot to the community, including a baseball field, playground, outdoor pool, and more.   

Marian Anderson is mostly used by people of color in the community. Young people utilize the recreation center the most, taking advantage of the center’s after-school programs.  Recreation ranges from 6-year-olds playing basketball or baseball to 70-year-olds using the gym to stay in shape.

Currently, the city of Philadelphia ranks the highest in gun violence among major cities in the United States. One of the roots of this issue is the poverty and trauma that young people face in inner cities. Some of these young people have so much time on their hands with nothing to do, sometimes leading to crime. The rec center gives children opportunities to stay off the streets, build relationships, and find hobbies.

Marian Anderson is mostly known for baseball. The Ryan Howard Training Center on the East Wing of the building is separated from the rest of the Recreation Center. In the Ryan Howard Training Center, there are batting cages, TV monitors, and so much more.

Baseball at the amateur level can get expensive, especially for underprivileged inner-city kids. The Ryan Howard Training Center gives kids the opportunity to learn and work with former college players, college coaches, and even Major League Baseball players. This gives inner-city kids the opportunity to get on the same playing field as more fortunate kids. 

Marian Anderson has had a large impact on my life. In 2020, I tried out for the Monarchs and I made the team, but I was a practice team player. Six months went by and I became a starter on the team and later on was named captain. Being at Marian Anderson and playing for the Anderson Monarchs has taught me perseverance, patience, and to work hard for my goals.