New Spanish Club Gives Opportunities for Students to Explore Spanish in Various Ways

Free Use Image Courtesy of Pxfuel.com

The new Friends Select Spanish Club, led by May Colgan ‘23 and advised by Upper School Spanish Teacher and advisor Cynthia Vanstein, will provide a space for students to practice their Spanish language skills and discuss topics they are curious about that may not be covered in a traditional language class. The club is open to all students regardless of their level of Spanish. 

May says, “Cynthia’s class is widely known for its sense of humor and community so we hope to translate that into this club, along with the added bonus of eating lunch.”

The students will dictate the activities and topics in club meetings. “This is a club for the students…I will help with what they want to do, facilitate what the students want,” says Cynthia. Some of the proposed activities include conversations about Spanish culture, politics, and movies.

Students have expressed excitement about the new Spanish Club. Ruby Brenner ‘24 says, “I’d like to learn more not just [about] the language but more cultural stuff with countries in South America and Spain and I think the Spanish Club would really help.” 

Joana Santos ‘24 says, “I joined to get more practice, hang with Cynthia, and be around people who are interested in Spanish like me,” adding that “learning another language and having a chance to study its culture is super exciting.”

Cynthia is very excited about the club. She says, “This is the first time we will have the club…I am really curious about what will be the interests of the students and the people who will come.”

The club will be in Cynthia’s room, 1731, during lunch on Gold weeks.