Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Cappies Reviews: Pippin

From November 16th-18th Friends Select’s theatre program performed a dazzling production of Pippin. At the final performance, over twenty-five Cappies critics attended and left reviews. The Cappies is a nationally recognized program focusing on excellence in theatre and journalism. Each year hundreds of student critics are trained in the art of criticism by attending at least five high school shows and writing reviews. Reviews are then considered for publication in local papers. The year wraps with a gala that celebrates the many aspects of high school theatre. Friends Select is proud to participate in the Greater Philadelphia Cappies chapter. 

Below are two reviews of Pippin from visiting critics.

Rose Levine

Shreya Vaidhyanathan of Conestoga High School

“Rivers belong where they can ramble, eagles belong where they can fly” and you belong in the audience of Friends Select School’s production of Pippin! A hardworking cast and crew told their rendition of the classic tale, transporting audience members to their “Corner of the Sky.”

The 1972 musical, originally directed by Bob Fosse on Broadway with music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz and book by Roger O. Hirson, follows young Pippin through his journey to find his life’s purpose. His father, King Charlemagne, does not understand his plight, leading Pippin to forge his own path and encounter new people and experiences along the way.

Atia Osborne (Leading Player) was incredible in her narrator-esque role, her stage presence staying consistent from beginning to end. Osborne’s vocals were unmatched, particularly standing out in “Glory” and “Finale.” Olukayode Ekundare (Pippin) also delivered a spectacular performance, showcasing both his acting and vocal ranges throughout the musical. His chemistry and rich blend with Clara Gluzdov (Catherine) during their enchanting duet “Love Song” created a genuine onstage presence.

Equally impressive were Sarah Gorenstein (Fastrada) and Sam Goldwert (Berthe), both of whom brought exceptional energy to their roles. Goldert’s comedic timing was perfect, garnering laughs and audience participation during their song “No Time at All.” Gorenstein played the evil-stepmother part to a T, and also showcased her dance talent during choreographed numbers. Patrick Ryan (Lewis) and Chance Fries (Charles) were also hilarious, using props like golden armor and capes to expand their characters.

The lively ensemble of Friend Select’s Pippin was dedicated to their roles, creating a dynamic mood onstage. Cal Hawkins (Player) gave a standout performance during his time onstage, amusing the audience with scripted mishaps and showing off his vocals with a perfect harmony. In addition, the complex choreography made countless scenes entertaining.

Rounding off the cast’s talents was a variety of technical elements, ranging from props to sets.  The special effects fog during the “Finale” number was the perfect addition to the intense moment.

All in all, Friends Select’s production of Pippin was “Extraordinary,” and the audience’s roaring applause by the end made it clear that this performance was impossible to pass up. Thank you, cast and crew of Friends Select!

Danity Pike of Episcopal Academy

Sets! Lights! Costumes! This is the “extraordinary” world of Pippin, recently presented by Friends Select School. This production featured talented lead actors, an enthusiastic ensemble, and effective technical elements.

The 1972 original production of Pippin featured music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz, book by Roger O. Hirson, and direction by Bob Fosse. The musical started on Broadway, winning four Tony Awards and later four more in the 2013 Broadway revival. Pippin follows the story of a young man, Pippin, searching for meaning and adventure. The Leading Player, guiding a traveling group of entertainers, personifies this story and often breaks the fourth wall.

Opening the show with “Magic to Do,” Atia Osborne commanded the stage as the Leading Player. Her melodic vocals and Bob Fosse-inspired movements enticingly introduced the mood of the show. Later, her powerful belts in “Simple Joys” showcased her wide vocal range. Despite her demanding time onstage, Osborne remained focused in every scene with an active stage presence.

Olukayode Ekundare put his own spin on the lead role of Pippin with naturally delivered lines and attention-grabbing vocals. He ambitiously faced difficult numbers like “Extraordinary” with a clear and resonant voice, sustaining high belts and complex dance movements. Additionally, Ekundare displayed a wide range of emotions through his facial expressions and genuine interactions with the other characters.

Sarah Gorenstein provided a believable performance of Fastrada, accompanying her fluid dance movements with sass in “Spread a Little Sunshine.” Her deceiving plans for the number were shown with knowing looks to the audience and bold mannerisms. Supporting Pippin as his love interest, Clara Gluzdov (Catherine) sang with a strong falsetto and emotional versatility.

The Players of Pippin rose to the challenge of elaborate choreography, giving it their best effort. To persevere through the complicated movements, the ensemble sang energetically with blended harmonies in songs such as “Morning Glow” and “Entr’acte.” A standout performance was Cal Hawkins, who contributed comic relief to scenes through excellent comedic timing.

The production’s stage manager, Aaron Operhall, consistently communicated well-timed cues throughout the entire show. Operhall allowed the actors to shine with no noticeable mistakes in the lighting or sound. Each scene transitioned smoothly with Friend Select’s Stage Crew. Although certain set changes were clumsy, the removal of tech in the “Finale” was polished, adding to the rawness of the final scene.

Pippin is a difficult show for a high school to conquer, but Friends Select School put a dedicated effort toward making the show magical – “spreading a little sunshine” along the way!