Science Department to Offer New STEAM Class in 2020-21

Free Use Image Courtesy of pxfuel.com

The science department will offer a new course next year, STEAM Advanced Projects, taught by Mike Primo. 

STEAM Advanced Projects is a year-long advanced class, requiring interested students to take Computer Science, Engineering, Robotics or Animation & Digital Storytelling as prerequisites. 

The new course will become the first advanced engineering course offered to students since Advanced Computer Science was cancelled two years ago.  

Mike says, “People asked me about (whether I should teach an) Advanced Computer Science course, but unfortunately it is hard to put up a full section of students who want to take it.”  He adds, “I thought, what if we include more than just computer science? What if we can include students who’ve studied in other steam fields?” 

The course is designed with what Mike calls a large “possibility space,” meaning that students will be able to choose their field of interest and build a final project using the knowledge and skills they acquired in prior courses. 

“I am really excited about the new course,” Mike says. “I hope it will provide students with opportunities to further pursue their interests in STEAM and develop organizational skills and problem-solving abilities that they could use beyond their high school classroom.”