Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Jay Chiles, Varsity Basketball Team Joins Cross Country

Jay Chiles, Captain of the Basketball Team.

Basketball Captain Jay Chiles ‘25 and the Varsity Boys Basketball team are participating in cross country this year, hoping for an advantage over competitive teams in the conference this winter. 

After coming up short to the Academy of New Church in the Semi-Finals last year, the basketball team is taking an approach that is unconventional in the way high school basketball teams around the country condition their bodies. Most teams around the country utilize in-game repetition while the Friends Select Basketball team is using cross country running to condition.  “When it gets late in the 4th quarter, you need your legs, conditioning is a big part of the game,” Jay said. 

“My stamina helps me be on the court longer than I should, and be more durable,” Jay believes that stamina is very important to his game.

When asked about how cross country gives the basketball team an advantage over the more competitive teams in the conference Jay said, “We are going to be more in shape…and more connected than any other team.  Jay claimed, “We are not doing cross country to win, we are doing [it] to be more prepared for the season.” 

Athletic Director Bill Klose says, “the Varsity Boys Basketball team joining increases numbers and competitiveness within the cross country team”. 

The Falcons look to better their results from last year after falling short of their Championship hopes after not making the Friends League Championship, which they haven’t made since 1995.  “Our goal is to make a deep playoff run this season and win a championship,” said Jay.