Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Bringing Together the Upper School Through Upcoming Spirit Week

During the week of November 5th to 10th, Spirit Club is running this semester’s Spirit Week: Monday is Matching Monday, Tuesday is Toddler vs Citizen, Wednesday is Wake Up or PJ Day, Thursday is Throwback, and Friday is Color Rush. 

The main goal of Spirit Week is to connect the student body, allowing students to interact with people they normally would not. The themes are meant for students to get out of their comfort zone and express themselves in creative ways. “I think it gives people more confidence even for that short time span of a week,” said Rose Levine ’24 – who helped plan Spirit Week. 

A big focus of Spirit Week is to emphasize the FSS sports teams. “We want to bring as much energy as possible to our school’s games – have fans at the games, student sections, have them be loud, and include the planned themes,” said Tiko Morris-Louis ‘24, a leader of Spirit Club.

Themes throughout Spirit Week require a lot of thought because, while being fun and creative, they also need to relate to all ages and personalities in the high school. “We want to make sure that students in all the grades get involved. A lot of people don’t engage in Spirit Week, which can be difficult,” said Tiko. 

A solution suggested by Spirit Club was to give students an opinion on the themes being selected. The group decided against soliciting opinions because it already had enough themes to consider for the week and didn’t want students to feel like their opinions didn’t matter if their suggested theme wasn’t selected. “We already had a lot of different ideas for potentially popular themes from different people in Spirit Club, so asking for additional opinions seemed like it would cause confusion rather than help to make selections,” said Rose. 

As noted by Tiko, last year, Spirit Week grew in popularity as many more students participated in the themes that were chosen by Spirit Club and a competition was added, where a winner was selected at the end of each day. This year, Spirit Club hopes that interest and participation in Spirit Week will continue to grow and be even more competitive than in prior years. 

Learning from the challenges Spirit Club faced in previous years, the week is now fully planned and ready for upper school students and teachers to enjoy.