Yearbook in the Works

Max Demers Rayborn

Ian hard at work.

At the beginning of the school year, the Friends Select yearbook editors sent a survey to advisors to help decide what this year’s theme would be. There are five yearbook editors, one faculty adviser and many photographers. “Students nominated possible themes during advisory block. Then students voted to select three themes,” said editor Lily May Muntean, class of ’19. “The yearbook process is going very well so far!” she added.

Middle and Upper School Latin teacher, Ian Lockey, is the yearbook faculty adviser. He says, “our biggest challenge so far has been collecting information quickly from all students and teachers. It is a very busy time in school right now, so we have to balance giving people the time they need to compile their materials with the yearbook deadlines.”

In the the office of Dick Hoffman, Friends Select Archivist, a list of Friends Select yearbooks line the wall. The hand drawn cover and yellowing paper edges show the age of the 1898 first edition of the yearbook. Dick Hoffman describes this first edition as, “Just a little paper bag with a few photographs and some writing. It is more like a document.”

When asked about why Friends Select started the yearbook tradition, Hoffman replied after thinking for a little while, “it records our memories and honors the FSS faculty and students who were here.”