Norman Bayard Joins FSS from GFS

Norman Bayard, the new Upper School Dean of Students, previously held positions as Dean at Khepera Charter School, Dean of Students at Sankofa Free Academy Charter School, and Lower School Dean of Students at Germantown Friends School. 

When asked what prompted him to bring his expertise to Friends Select, Norman replied, “I was not looking for another position; I was happy where I was.” 

The impetus for his move was the encouragement and counsel from a peer, who believed this was a natural next step for him to capitalize on his leadership skills. 

Norman learned about Friends Select when he and his daughter were looking for a high school for her to attend. Coming across an advertisement that Friends Select had an open position was a fortuitous opportunity. “Ultimately, it came down to fate and destiny,” remarked Norman.

Norman jokingly noted that the only thing he is certain to change for the first three years is his underwear. His priority is to get to know all the students and faculty.

Norman is adjusting to Friends Select.  Although he misses having a large, grassy campus, he can appreciate the positives that come with a city school, stating, “this is downtown, and the school has the energy of downtown. Everything goes rapidly.” 

When Norman is not fulfilling his responsibilities as the Dean at Friends Select, he likes to spend time with his family and children. He has one son, two daughters, and has been married to his wife for 21 years. Norman also loves anime and reading comic books. 

Norman revealed two proverbs, which reflect his attitude and priorities. 

The first is “Simba Simbi,” which translates to ‘hold up that which holds you up.’ Norman believes that whatever gives you strength, power, drive, and love, should be prized and valued. 

The second proverb is, “when you have a friend hold them with both hands.” This serves as a reminder to be grateful and to appreciate the good things in life. 

Norman is a family man, and he is looking forward to including Friends Select as part of that family.