Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select’s First-Ever Fall Ball

Maddie Cohen ’25

To celebrate the beginning of the school year, Upper School class officers and student government are preparing for the first Fall Ball Dance in FSS history, to take place on November 10th at the Mummers Museum.

The class officers aim to bring the entire high school community together, allowing students to have fun and make lasting memories. “We came up with the idea because we wanted a dance like Homecoming, similar to other high schools at the beginning of the year. Additionally, we wanted a dance that would bring the entire high school together, as we only have Soph Hop and Prom which separates the four grades,” said the Class Officers of 2024.

With Soph Hop in April and Prom in May, class officers aimed to place this new event closer to the start of the school year, allowing students to get to know each other better and to integrate into the upper school community earlier. Moreover, the week of November 10th was chosen to coincide with the sports break, to make sure that student-athletes could attend the fall ball.

Set at the Mummers Museum, known for hosting the oldest continuous folk parade in the United States, students can expect a mix of historical charm and modern amenities. “Our venue also boasts several amenities designed to make your experience seamless,” according to the Mummers Museum’s site, listing features such as complimentary parking, Wi-Fi access, and air conditioning. 

The music for the fall ball will be provided by DJ Illmatiq, a Philly DJ known for bringing high energy and fulfilling entertainment to any kind of event. “llmatiq caters to a variety of crowds with a high degree of flexibility and constant goal to please. This guy kills it and GETS IT!” said DJ Illmatiq’s agency, Sugarbomb Entertainment. 

According to Norman Bayard, the Upper School Dean of Students, a significant majority –  73.3% of the students – who complete the interest form have shown interest in attending the Fall Ball.

Students across grades are expressing their anticipation: Tiko Morris-Louis ‘24, a leader of Spirit Club who helped plan the Fall Ball, said, “I feel really excited that we finally get to have the first Fall Ball. I’m excited to see people dressed up and show school spirit, I’m really looking forward to it.”

“I’m excited to have Fall Ball, especially outside the gym. I feel like the gym is too small and basic. Hope the decorations will be good,” said Jaiden Spilman ‘26. 

“I’m excited, I think it’s gonna be fun! I’ve only been to one dance because we had covid, so, I’m excited. The Mummers Museum is really cool,” said Eli Goldman ‘27.

Even faculty are joining the chorus of excitement. “I hope we can get a lot of adults to participate,” said Norman.