Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

Friends Select Student News Media

The Falcon

“Elements of Art” Student Exhibit in Parkway Gallery

Friend Select’s Annual Visual Art Fall Exhibition was unveiled on November 9th in the front hall gallery of the Parkway Building. The show includes paintings, drawings, metalwork, and digital pieces from students in all three divisions.

The theme of the show is “Elements of Art”, focusing on and highlighting the building blocks that can be found in all visual art. The seven elements of art are space, shape, line, color, value, form, and texture. According to Deborah Caiola, Art Department Chair, these elements are taught ‘over and over’ in Friends Select art classes, and all artwork will contain some or all of these elements. 

“We thought it would be fun for the audience to look at the vastly different styles and materials of student artwork of all different ages,” says Deborah. Deborah added that the art department wanted viewers to “see what elements of art stand out to them, [and] see if they could see like artists see!” 

Zoë Blatt, who teaches Digital Art, explains, “Digital projects in the exhibit will include Art Foundations vector illustrations with a focus on shape and color and pieces from Digital Photography that highlight space, color, and value.”

Some lower school classes have also chosen specific elements to feature. “I am displaying 4th grade abstract paintings inspired by teaching artist Chen Lok Lee,” says Dan Deslaurier, Lower School Art Teacher. There are 45 pieces by 4th graders on display. “4th graders learned about the Art Elements of Line, Shape, Space, Texture, and Value while creating watercolor paintings with bamboo brushes and paper.” 

Unlike the larger spring show, not all students in art courses will have work displayed. The goal of the exhibit is to share a sampling of student work happening across the school. 

The exhibition remains on display until December 11th.